Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pennies for Peace

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The school district and local college worked together to bring Greg Mortenson, author of Three Cups of Tea, to Bend. The schools and community have been collecting pennies for Pennies for Peace for a few weeks. 20 kids from each school were invited to attend an assembly with Greg Mortenson. Ellie was lucky enough to be chosen (probably because I helped with the campaign at her school). I went with her as a chaperone on the field trip. The schools raised $52,000 with more money coming in from the community tonight. That sum is amazing. It is enough to build and staff a school in Afganistan. I was even lucky enough to shake Greg's hand since I was sitting on the end of a row near the door he entered through. Greg told the students that the kids in Pakistan and Afganistan take off their shoes before entering the school to show respect. He then had all of us take off our shoes to show respect for the school we were in. It was a short and sweet presentation with mostly questions to the kids to get them thinking. I was glad to be able to go though and am anxious to watch his lecture tonight. (Tickets to his lecture sold out in under in hour but they are going to be filming it and showing it on OnDemand).







1 comment:

Alex said...

thats SO cool! How neat that you got to hear him speak. Cool that Ellie was chosen and all the money the school gave! Amazing!