Friday, February 22, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Friday, February 22, 2008
Maxwell's One Year Doctor Appointment

The Good: Maxwell has 9 teeth. 8 front and one molar. The other 3 molars are very close behind. I never even noticed he had the one molar in. He is up to the 15% in the weight category. He was only at 10% at the 9 month appt. which was really low considering he was at 50% up until that point. I blame it on the soy milk he had drink for months 3-12.

The Bad: Maxwell has delayed developmental skills. He can't get into a sitting position on his own. He doesn't pull up to anything. He doesn't crawl. He doesn't say any words besides mama, He doesn't wave. Basically all he does is lay or sit and scoot on his bum. However, his fine motor skills seem to be fine and he is very social. I have to take him to early intervention for a thorough developmental evaluation which will be followed by sessions to help him learn to develop his gross motor skills.

The Ugly: Maxwell has had a cough and a runny nose for about 10 days now. I never take my kids to the doctor for colds because all they tell you is to suction the nose, use a humidifier, and drink plenty of liquids. Well it turns out that he has RSV and ear infections in both ears. Who knows how long this has been going on since it is the 3rd round for him this winter. I feel like such a bad mom. I take my son in for a "well baby" visit only to find out he has all these things wrong with him.

Caden has been even more sick than Maxwell so maybe thats why I haven't really thought Max was sick. Caden has also been sick for 10 days but he definitely has the flu. And now Ellie is starting to have all the signs of a cold. I am so over all this sick.

3 comments:

Miss Kendra said...

The Good: Just because he is a little delayed doesn't mean that he will not catch up quickly. He is the 3rd child and he has a lot of people taking care of him and helping him do things.

The Bad: is not you as a mom. You are a good mom. I do not take the kids in for colds. I only take them in if they are crying that it hurts and we think it is ear infections because they are pulling at the ear or something similar.

The Ugly: RSV sucks!!! I had 2 kids that had it at different times. Jason was on a nebulizer for months the year Haley was born. The worst part is having to stay home all of the time. Waiting to go to the doctor does not cause RSV. He would have had it if you went in 5 days ago.

I understand your pain, do not feel so bad. You are a good mom.

Kendall said...

Hey Heidi...
I totally hear you on the RSV. McKenna had it and ended up in the hospital. It was not fun! McKenna too had to have a nebulizer and oxygen...it was awful. I agree with Kendra, it was awful to have to stay at home and we still have to be so careful! The dr said the worse place to take your babies is to church. (sad huh?) McKenna had ear infections also, so they must go hand in hand. I am sorry. Hopefully things get better!! You are a great mom!

Lizzie said...

A VERY IMPORTANT tip for your early intervention evaluation: As moms, we love our kids, and we tend to emphasize the good they can do and downplay what they can't do. While in every other time in life this is wonderful and exactly as it should be, for your early intervention evaluation this is the exact opposite of what you should do. While it's great that our kids can do so many great things, that's not what they are being evaluated for. By knowing exactly where your child is, the providers can give them the best services and get them on track faster. You'll be asked a whole bunch of yes/no questions about what Max can do (ex: Can he stack blocks? Does he turn a book rightside up if it is upside down? I don't know if those are age appropriate, just examples). It's important to really say no if Max is not consistantly doing it. Lexi gets re-evaulated every six months (standard), and I still find my self saying "Yes! She does that!" to things she only sometimes does, or is close to doing (focusing on that positive), before I then think twice and correct myself. That's what you have to do. If you have any questions about the process, just call me. Early intervention is great, but it is a government service, and thus there's a lot of processes and paperwork and procedure. It's can be confusing and I often felt like it was a big deal for Lexi, leaving me feeling like she wasn't even all "that" disabled, and Max is not disabled at all. It can feel like a lot of fuss over nothing, but in the end Max will be able to get back on track quick.